When I first thought of the idea of creating the “Connected Principals” website, it was to include a small group of administrators who I had come to know and learn about where they stand on education. Through talking with some of them, we thought it would be best to open up the community to any administrators that wanted to join.
With that being said, I want to ensure that those that are joining and collaborating all share the same vision. Similar to creating a vision for our schools, I wanted to ensure that we create some guiding principles that will move this site forward. I also believe that once these principles are finalized, all posts should ensure that they follow these principles. Here is what I have so far:
1. All of our decisions focus first on what meets the needs of the children we serve. All other elements of our decision making process are secondary to this objective. The students we serve are our greatest resource in schools.
2. We can do more together than we can alone. Opportunities need to be created for distributed leadership within our school for all staff; as administrators we need to ensure we build upon the strengths of our staff. We must ensure that we are working together as schools and an educator community to to continue to move education forward.
3. All educators need to be lifelong learners. Only through continuous reflection, conversation, and collaboration will we ensure that we are continuously serving the needs of our students.
4. Building strong relationships is the first basis of creating a strong school environment. Trust is the first element; both extending it and earning it.
5. All members of our school community should be given opportunities to become leaders. This includes students, staff, and all parents.
6. Parents are our partners in education. We must ensure that their voice is heard and that they are given opportunities to contribute to creating the best environment for our students.
7. Critical thinking and deep learning opportunities for our students are necessary to ensure that they become strong 21st century citizens. We must know the passions of our students and create learning opportunities based on these.
8. Technology should be used to create opportunities for students to ensure that we are meeting their needs and creating opportunities to network and learn from others.
I would love your thoughts on these before we create a page with this vision. I am not only asking for the thoughts of administrators, but anyone with an interest in education. Through collaborating on these principles, we will come up with the best ideas.
Thoughts? Please leave comments so we can collaborate with one another.