Dr. Tae – Can Skateboarding Save Our Schools?: It’s one of the best presentations on assessment and grading I have seen, and with skateboarding as the metaphor…well, it’s all the more …rad!
Here are the highlights from Dr. Tae!
- “nobody knows ahead of time how long it takes anyone to learn anything”
- “skateboarders find school environments strange”
- “failure is normal…expected”
- “work your ass off till you figure it out”
- “learning is not fun”
- “Flow Experience: Finding your Goldilocks challenges…not too easy…not too hard”
- “no grades…no cheating…when learning is the goal…(and the reward), there’s no point to cheating”
- “teachers…completely optional”
After watching his TEDx…I started thinking about…
- What would happen if we looked at the local skatepark/bowl as a professional learning community?
- Did he get any descriptive feedback from peers that would have reduced his practise attempts?
- The issue of resiliency and learning?
- How many kids find our school environments strange?
- More on Goldilocks challenges and flow experiences from Daniel Pink’s book…DRiVE
- Seth Godin…”How to Fail”
And…since Spring Break is a few days away…time for me to get out the long board and find some, “flow.”